We welcome transfer students and the wide range of experiences, ideas, and expertise you bring to our community. We make it a priority to find ways to transfer as many of your previous college credits as possible.
Special Application Requirements
Transfer students must have maintained a 2.3 grade point average in previous college study. Exceptions are occasionally made. If you are concerned about your GPA, please talk to your Admissions Counselor at 503-821-8972.
Transfer students must declare a major when completing their application.
Transfer students must include at least 7 or more submissions that are applicable to their intended major. For example:
- Animated Arts: Transfer applicants should include some basic experience with storytelling, character development, and sequential imagery.
- Creative Writing: Transfer applicants are required to include a visual portfolio of 10-15 images following the general portfolio guidelines.
- General Fine Arts: Transfer applicants should include a variety of studio and fine art based work. Some examples include paintings, sculptures, installations, drawings, etc.
- Graphic Design: Transfer applicants should be able to demonstrate how they think about design through traditional and digital methods. Work can include logos, branding, typography, UX/UI, motion graphics, product design, etc. Showing your process is recommended.
- Illustration: Transfer applicants should include a variety of imagery that demonstrates their abilities with storytelling and narrative-driven work. Some examples include digital or traditional character or concept design, backgrounds and environments, patterns, picture book and/or comics, toy design, etc.
- Intermedia: Transfer applicants should include a wide range of work with a conceptual focus. This can include anything from installations, documentation of performance art, mixed media and/or new media, etc.
- Painting: Transfer applicants should include a variety of paintings and drawings. Observational drawing/painting, figure drawing/painting, abstract drawing/paintings are all encouraged. All mediums are acceptable including oil, acrylic, watercolor, gouache, charcoal, pencil, marker, mixed media, etc.
- Photography: Transfer applicants should include a variety of subject matter using traditional film or digital photography. This can include documentary/photojournalism, alternative and experimental processes, portraiture, landscape, etc.
- Printmaking: Transfer applicants should include printmaking techniques such as relief, etching, monotype, screen printing, lithography, etc. or other forms of traditional media.
- Sculpture: Transfer applicants should include examples of 3D work that is well documented. This can include traditional sculpture with clay materials, ceramics, wood, metal, mixed media, fabric/soft sculpture, etc.
There is no application fee undergraduate programs.
What we transfer
Credits earned at two-year and four-year institutions accredited by a regionally recognized accrediting organization may transfer to PNCA as they apply to course requirements for the student's chosen major.
Only credits earned with a letter grade of “C-” or better will be considered for transfer. A maximum of 72 semester credits will be transferred. All students will be required to complete a minimum of 48 semester credit hours at PNCA.
How it works
When you are admitted, PNCA's Academic Advisor, in consultation with faculty, reviews your transcripts to determine your level of placement in liberal arts courses.
The transfer of studio classes is based on the college transcripts and review of examples of work completed in studio classes indicated on the transcripts. The Academic Advisor and faculty will consider the courses taken as they apply to the curriculum for the student’s chose major. Transfer students will receive a credit audit, indicating which previously earned credits will apply towards PNCA’s graduation requirements for their chosen major.
What we don't transfer
We do not accept transfer credit from non-accredited institutions, but may consider on a case-by-case basis the transfer of credits from schools accredited under the category of trade and technical schools, provided the curriculum is similar in content, purpose, and standards to the curriculum of PNCA. Credits from an institution which is a candidate for regional accreditation may also be considered on a case-by-case basis. There is no time limit on the transfer of credits.
Transferring Credits from Institutions from Outside the U.S.
A credential evaluation from WES, ECE, or any other NACES member is required from students who wish to transfer undergraduate credits from an institution located outside of the United States that is not accredited by a U.S. accrediting body. The credential evaluation must be received before a transfer audit can be completed. A course-by-course is the type of evaluation to be ordered. Any questions concerning a credential evaluation can be emailed to email@example.com.
AP/IB Credit Transfer Policy
PNCA grants credit for specific requirements based on scores from the Advanced Placement Examinations of the College Board as well as International Baccalaureate Exam for courses taken at the Higher Level (HL).
Advanced Placement Examinations: Scores must be submitted by the testing service to the College. Credit is available in Art History, Natural Science, Literature, Social Science and Mathematics.